View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
ECO-DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCalMer View Post
Is water in the fuel a concern with diesel fuel? I believe most gas pumps now have a hightech filter at the pump to remove water. If you put on the gas cap and it seals then is their any reason to worry about water in the fuel?
many, probably most people are not concerned. but, this inexpensive upgrade has the potential to protect and some expensive equipment, prolong equipment life and improve the OEM filter's lifespan and efficiency. Also - check this out: http://www.**************.com/node/2156

a little excerpt:
Quote:
I have become a strong believer that every Mercedes diesel engine should have a water separator installed ahead of the factory fuel filter. This belief has increased over the past few years as I have had the opportunity to disassemble an increasing number of failed diesel injection pumps and fuel injectors. It doesn't take one long to see the evidence of water damage inside a fuel injection pump. Initially you might spot small areas of rust around many of the steel parts particularly the delivery valves at the top of the pump. Upon closer inspection you may begin to see the areas of scoring on the moving parts and this is generally due to a lack of lubrication caused by dirty fuel or water in the fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgrassi View Post
I just purchased one and will do the install according to your directions. Great write up. Only problem is I did not pay attention to the filter, so the stock 150 microns is being shipped. Still, including shipping, total came to $52 from the company you listed the link for.

Thanks for all the great info!
$52... did you get the 150 prefilter that comes with the clear bowl? the 150 should work well and when you change the filter you can replace it with a 30.

Quote:
Stanadyne FM100 30 micron pre-filter water seperator assembly (3/8" NPT ports)
go to www.reliableindustries.com or call 800-693-4583, order part#33641 - LINK for a measely $32.68
Clear Bowl Water Reservior Option:
you can see in the pics that i have an additional clear bowl water reservior installed. this is an easy screw-on option - part#29899 $26.96 from reliable.
the 4.3" element that comes with the assembly is part#31865 - $11.17
a 6.0" replacement element is part#31869 - $13.06

Last edited by SUNRG; 01-05-2007 at 01:16 PM.