View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I ♥ German Cars

W124 Transmission 722.x Problems

When I first bought my wagon (87 TD) it had a serious transmission fluid leak which turned out to be the main seal that is on the inside of the bell housing (where the torque converter slips in). My mechanic replaced that seal and all has been dandy for the last 2 months or so.

Well the other day I park my car at work after driving 20 miles and I have a huge transmission fluid leak. Don't know how long it was leaking, but judging by how fluid was under my car, it probably wasn't leaking too long. Long enough to coat the entire underside of the car with ATF, including the tailgate/bumper.

So I get it towed to the shop (I don't have time or experience to be pulling the transmission on my daily driver) and the leak is coming from somewhere behind the seal I mentioned above. I told my mechanic how I'd been feeling this light vibration when taking off from a stop, around 10-15mph, but it would disappear after a second or two. I actually thought that my drive shaft was out-of-balance. That led him to think that the torque converter might be bad (out of balance), which would explain why I've torn through yet another trans. seal.

Anyone have experience with this type of stuff or advice for me? I'm a little concerned that my mechanic didn't catch this problem the first time, and am really dreading paying another big bill for practically the same problem. This shop is the only recommended shop in town, so I don't have much of a choice beyond taking it to the dealer, which I'd really like to avoid.

One other thing, when I mentioned the driveshaft possibly being out of balance I asked if they balance them and he said "no, they only replace them, nobody balances these driveshafts". Is that true?? Surprising if it is.

1987 300TD, 1987 300TD
2008 R32, 2000 Passat Wagon

Last edited by justinperkins; 01-12-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added driveshaft comments