View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Chief Enforcement Agent

Mine's a '97 C230

. . . not the Kompressor model. It's been solid and reliable, a one-owner car bought in '04 at age 8 with 58K miles, now at 84K.

The little gold beast starts every time, keeps me cool and warm when required, and returns about 24 mpg combined (mostly city driving). I've had to replace the A/C compressor -- the original, after 60K miles of use in hot, humid New Orleans -- and done brake rotors and pads once. Oil and filter changes are easy (though I think the '99 may require synthetic oil). I've had to lube my single-arm wiper twice, and have a rattle fixed in the moonroof. Otherwise, not much beyond regular maintenance has been necessary.

(ETA: I just looked at your post. A '99 w/ 138K miles??? That's over 17K a year for 8 years! Make sure you get the records to see how it was treated!)

From what I've read here, ball joints tend to wear on cars driven on rough roads, and the 5-speed auto transmission should have its fluid changed (at the dealer -- it has to be done at a specific temperature) about every 90K miles.

People here seem to think it's one of the best and simplest cars MB ever made. The supercharger and more complex electronics on the '99 may change some of that. But mine has been fun, solid, and sturdy, and every time I think about trading for something bigger or more powerful, I realize I don't really want to give up this car yet.

Someday the W202 will end up alongside the W115 and W123 in the MB Museum's section honoring cars which have proved reliable in daily service.
Formerly:
'97 C230, smoke silver/parchment; '86 420SEL, anthracite/light grey; '84 280CE (W123), dark blue/palomino

Last edited by Benzadmiral; 02-21-2007 at 01:08 PM.