View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 04:58 PM

My experience with a '89 300SE may be helpful.

The wiper arms are held on by a nut. The plastic cover needs to be flipped up (indentations on the sides need to be spread out) to expose the nut. A puller will likely be needed to pull the arm off the spline.

As to your other problem, I am guessing it is the same as what I experienced on my '89 300SE. A complicated linkage system called a transmission has a link held onto ball joints a both ends. A plastic socket, which also has a rubber dirt cover like a washer, likely has worn and cracked due to age. Hence the link does not stay on the ball joint and has fallen down on the one end.

The problem is that you cannot buy just this plastic socket. You can only buy the entire transmission. You can use the existing motor. I ended up drilling and tapping the end of the ball and put a 10 24 bolt through the end of the plastic cap with washers on both sides. I also suggest using a spacer, or grind the threads off smoothly where the bolt goes through the plastic to prevent wear and elongating the hole. Drilling this ball is difficult as it is a hardened tool steel. You will need a drill press.

Hope this is of help.