View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 PM

I don't have a thing for mercedes...

That is, for Mercedes in general. I have a thing for Mercedes 123 Diesels, for the following reasons:

1. Being diesels, these cars are inherently different than most other cars on the road;
2. THE most durable, over-engineered, production car ever built; if you fix it, it will keep going.
3. Simplicity, well designed, superior build quality...nothing fancy;
4. View from the cockpit....the hood star and those round air vents are about as cool as you can get
5. Classic exterior look
6. Tinkerer's dream; most of us are compelled by some inner urge to keep our hands busy and fix things (even if they don't need fixing). These cars are a real dream to work on...things come apart readily without breaking things, and go back together again. Even down to the window switches...take them apart, clean out the crumbs, clean the leaf springs, contacts, ball bearings...i have even soldered in new leds and resistors...put it all back together and it is as good as new! Also very few special tools are necessary for working on this car....many "special tools" can be shop made.
7. It is the almost-classic hobby car I can afford...it also happens to be my daily driver...that's one reason why I can afford it.
8. I find these cars real fun to drive...smooth engine growl at highway speeds...very nice road feel. They are not a performance car, but real satisfying especially when suspension, steering etc. are all functioning properly.

Mark