View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM

A wasted day in the garage

Had a few hours to kill today, so I figured I'd do the front sway bar links and bushings on my diesel 210 chassis. Took the wheel off and went to attack the bolt. Found out that I needed a torx/star bit/socket and mine weren't big enough. The biggest one I have is a T-40. Anyone know the proper size for this job? I suspect that I may end up just buying a bigger set of them, but if I happen to find singles, I may just get that.

Okay, all isn't lost. I figured I could change the engine shock since I had the new one in hand. Undid the upper fastener and released the belt tensioner. I then unscrewed the bottom shock fastener and eventually got it to go over top of the pulley. But I couldn't get it out quite far enough to release the old shock. Tried everything I could think of, but no luck. The problem seemed to be the washer wouldn't move down the threads far enough to give me the extra millimeter I needed. So I buttoned it all back up and that was the end of my garage day. I know that some of you have said that you've been able to change the shock with everything in place. What's the secret? Fortuneately my old shock seemed to still be pretty strong, so I don't think it's a critical issue.

Thanks.

Len
'99 E300TD 100,000 miles