View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rosich View Post
There are a few key words on your inquire, which are at the last of your post:

" ...and I want something that will hold its value and resell well in a few years."

Based on that I will definitely go with the CLK 500 instead of the AMG.

The basic problem is this: most AMG owners buy their cars to put them to the extreme constantly (who wouldn't???). That is the general idea on the used car market, hence second or third hand owners are really uneasy about buying AMG models. Proof of my statement: Both 2003 models are now the SAME price, while brand new the AMG was more expensive than the 500.

Although they are equal now, as time passes by, the AMG will depreciate faster and harder.

In terms of maintenance, I will be also a little bit less worried about the CLK 500. The AMG always has special parts which have to be constantly special ordered and are more expensive (I know this from a friend that owns an S 55 AMG, while most S 500 get their parts on site).
I totally disagree with your comment that AMG owners buy their cars to abuse them.
Not true.
As a mobile technician, I have found that most owners of the AMG vehicles take really good care of them as opposed to the lower performance vehicles.
Most of the ones I deal with as customers have had many mercedes through the years and have finally stepped up for the top of the line vehicle and treat them as such.
At least here in Atlanta, that's the general concensus, although they do get their occasional romping on, but in this traffic, you can't ever get the chance to really clean out the pipes.
Also ,theese are the types of owners who make sure they fix everything as needed and do not neglect even the simplest minor problem.
In general, theese owners expect the best , that's why they bought the car in the first place.
I just speak from my personal client experiences.