View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Ok - here is what I did.

Ran the hose at full blast into the filler with the screen out - let it go for about 5 minutes. Lots of crud came out.

Closed her up. Added a half-gallon of Simple Green and put about 10 gallons of water in. Bounced and rocked the car off and on for 5 minutes. Filled it up the rest of the way and bounced and rocked for another 5 minutes. Let it sit 10 minutes.

Pulled the screen out and flushed for 5 minutes with the hose while the tank drained. Closed it up and filled her to the brim...did the shake bounce routine and drained/flushed for 5 minutes. Repeated this two more times.

Now I have a blow dryer rigged into the filler (adapted with an old Benz radiator hose!) and she is a-drying.

I will blow the supply and return lines to the back. Then once I have diesel back in I will pull fuel through both from the front with the mity-vac to ensure there is no water waiting to mess me up.

I did cap the supply line before I started the hose treatment, but while cleaning up I realized I left the return line hooked up. So I am going to be doubly sure to clear that pupply prior to starting the car.

Thanks for the responses...it is always re-assuring to get some feedback before you try something new...and strange. Like putting a garden hose in your fuel tank!

Tim

1991 Volvo 240 142k miles (T-boned by a stop sign runner. Total loss)