View Single Post
Old 11-16-2001, 05:09 PM

190E firing order question

hello,

I have a 1986 190E 2.3 that I am working on, but I don't know if it's a 16V or not. I bought a distributor cap and rotor for it assuming it was a 16V. When I removed the old distributor cap the fastener was different. The old cap had a hook type hold down. The cap I bought had actual screws to ahod it down. I figure that this engine I am working on is not a 16V.

The car sounded like it was missing at idle so I decided to replace the plugs (bosch super H8DC) and to check the cap and rotor. I also checked the wires and they all tested around 1.1K ohms. I did notice as I was pulling the wires and testing them that they were in the wrong order. The plastic tunnel that the wires go thru indicate the firing order is 1-3-4-2 (2 being the front of the car closest to the radiator fan.) When I tested the wires, 1 and 4 were interchanged. I figured that was the cause of the misfire/stumbling at idle. I have the service manual for the engine and it indicates that the firing order is 1-3-4-2 with 1 being closest to the radiator fan.

Now the car won't start. I tried both ways. What is the correct sequence to this? Engine number is 102985-12-027203

any help would be appreciated. Thank in advance

Nolan