View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 PM

w202 c200 leak in automatic transmission [link to pictures]

Hi all! Have been reading for some time now but first time poster and freshly registered. Great forum, lots of great info!

I was hoping to get some help or at least a finger in the right direction. I have a ´98 c200 with a automatic transmission (the "newer" ones) and when I recently washed my car I thought I would tow it up and clean it under also. To my disappointment I saw that there has been leaking oil from the transmission so I would like to get it fixed asap and need your help.

Luckily I have not experienced any problems with it, it shifts easy, smooth and fast throughout all the gears and the kick down works fine. I don't think that I have heard any noises either and the fresh oil that comes out doesn't smell burned and has a red/brownish color (looks pretty good overall). So I have hopefully discovered the leak in time before the gearbox got hurt *cross fingers*.

I had a camera when I washed it and took some pictures before and after a quick wash. I couldn't take down the "pan" thingy because I didn't have any tools and it wouldn't do me any good since half of the oil is under there, right? I still hope that you can tell something (anything) from those pictures and guess where it could be located, are there any usual spots or is it not common that these trannys leak?

As you will see from the pictures there is a lot of oil there, the level inside is probably too low so I have garaged it until I figure out what to do (with your help) so I don't extend the risk/damage. I really appreciate any help and support, even a joke would be fine because I am pretty worried now!

Here are the pictures, didn't want to use the img tag because there are a lot of them covering every angle I could think of.

http://public.openmindedprojects.com/c200/

Thanks in advance,
Boris