View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
ich fahre, also bin ich

Keep your comments about my sanity to yourself

Sorry that the truth hurts, but it's condensation in the oil. It even happens to air-cooled motorcycle engines where it obviously can't be coolant.

Note that different engine designs can make the froth more or less visible on the filler cap. The 112/113 seems to show it more than your old box.

From another forum:
>>Chrysler actually has a tsb about this concerning the 4.7. What you are seeing is most likely probably just condensation. Chryslers "fix" was to put some kind of baffle in the oil fill, hiding the milky appearance. <<

And:
>>Guys - In an internal combustion engine there is always water formed. It is a byproduct of cumbustion heat. It the winter and cooler weather it tends to build up in the system more than in warmer weather do to short driving habits not allowing the cold engine to thoroughly warm and evaporated the moisture formed out of the system. Also look at the frost line formed on a fuel tank at the fule level. this same thing happens in the engine. This frost melts, what does it turn into? Not oil. In the summer on high humidity day you can also see moistion form on metal or even on your garage floor or teh dew on the grass. Same phenomina (sp). In the summer it doesn't take as long even though the moisture is still formed but not to the extent that it is in the winter due to the metal not being as cold and the quicker warmups. It has alway been recommended to shorten oil change intervals in teh winter with short trip driving. Synthetic oils are not immune to this either. I don't understand why every year we see posts with 'I see white smoke from my tail pipe'. This is a natural in the winter colder weather. vapor and water dripping from the tail pipes. It is formed in the engine along with the warm air hitting th cold on the way out causing condesation and turning to water. A good deal no. but normal with not a cure in the world but frequent oil changes when driving short trips or making sure to drive long enough to evaporate all this out of the system. This is also most mufflers have a small hole in them to drain out this water to help prevent internal rust from forming.<<