View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Unhappy Circuit diagram w124 230E 1991

Hi all.
I have a couple of annoying problems with my MB and if I don't manage to get them fixed soon I see no other option than sending it in to the wreckers..
That would be a shame though, and this site looks like it has helped a lot of people so I really hope you can help me too.

I don't know where to begin so I just have to take it from the beginning.

One day when I was driving i noticed that the ABS light came on and a few moments later all the lights went off along with the stereo. or, to be more correct, the stereo died when I pressed the brake and started again when I let go of it...
I stopped on the side of the road and looked in the fuse box and had to replace a fuse.

I had no idea what to do and where to look so I just left it alone since the car was working again.

A couple of weeks later the ABS light came on again and the car died.
The battery was flat.
I read in a book that the ABS warning light will light up if the battery is flat and it was.
I looked for something that was draining the battery and discovered that the cables to the generator was corroded and after polishing up those a bit I thought that the problem was solved.

Now the generator light on the dashboard lights up when the ignition is on and goes off again when I start the engine. (it never illuminated before)

Next day I drove off to uni and after about 30 Km the car stopped again.
This time the battery was NOT flat and everything seemed ok, no fuses blown, the starter worked but the damn engine did not start.

I did a few measurements with a multimeter and one thing that appears abnormal is that there is a fuse called "carburator electronics" (No 11) and if I pull the fuse out and measure the voltage across/current through i find 0V/0A at all times.

I read that the OVP might have something to do with it, is it possible to test that?

There have been small electrical "wierd" things going on from time to time before, like the outside temperature display sometimes doesn't work but the next time you start the car it's on again.

Does anyone have any tips on what I should test now?
A complete circuit diagram of my car (W124 230E -1991) would be highly appreciated too.

I have tried the ignition and it does give off a spark
The fuel pump is running when I crank the engine.
shorting pin # 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay starts the fuel pump.

Please help and sorry about turning this post into a novel..

Kind Regards
Morgan P