View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Willjayc

What kind of Oil do you use?

Don DS,

How cold is your oil and what kind is it? Where abouts are you in Ontario? I have a 240D in Central Ontario and have been through all kinds of problems with the kit I bought from a US seller as soon as winter came around. I have always had problems getting air out of my system in my mercedes as well, especially after I first installed it. I use two three port valves which I can operate independantly and my setup is similar to yours but I have a few extra things that help with bleeding air. My modified system has a boost pump for the wvo in the trunk. I turn this on and have a bleeder valve that I open under the hood, this gets all the air out up to my IP. I then start on Diesel, switch to WVO when the temp is appropriate but I control my valves independantly so I can return the WVO. Returning the WVO for 5 minutes of idling usually clears the air from the IP and injector hard lines. I then just simply switch the valve back to looped.

I wonder if there is a problem with your WVO being too thick. I run a heated fuel pick-up, HIH lines, two coolant heated filters and a veg therm and have a hard time getting to 150F in -15C weather on the highway. I admit though that the kit that I bought has too much unnessicary hose in it. I plan on gutting it and starting over with my own tested design soon. I will soon be adding a FPHE and should be good down to -30C or better. What kind of oil are you using? If I run sunflower oil in steady -15C I have problems. I have better luck with my small supply of Canola in the cold weather. Take your settled and filtered oil and put it in a mason jar, leave it outside for a few nights and see how it moves when you tip the jar in the morning. My sunflower oil is solid, but the canola oil is like thin motor oil at -15C.

Will
www.veggiefuelsystems.ca