View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 04:08 PM

Question A/C diagnosis requested

Finally needed real levels of A/C here in Houston today. Rebuilt CC unit in place. No trouble codes logged.

Start car, temp dials set to 75 both sides, no recirculation. Fan comes on like gangbusters and then slowly tapers off to "idle" over 2 or 3 minutes.

Ran the diagnosis to log the values from the various sensors after driving the car for about 30 minutes and got these values:
1 - 81 (in car temp at aspirator)
2 - 82 (outside temp)
3 - 42 (left heater core temp)
4 - 41 (right heater core temp)
5 - 43 (evaporator temp)
6 - 09 (ECT sensor - I think this actually converts to 109)
7 - 13 (Ref pressure in BAR)
8 - 60 (Blower control signal) - the dial was set at MAX - as I dialed it down to MIN, the value dropped to 8
9 - 03 (Indicates Kammerer control unit)
16 - 0 (no activated charcoal filter)

Here's my analysis of the #'s
1 & 2 look about right - it felt about 80 inside the car, and that was the temp around the car when I got out - temp gauge below odometer read 78.
3, 4 & 5 also look correct, given that I had set the A/C to LO on both dials, which should guarantee max cooling - so no water should be flowing to the heater cores
6 - I don't even know what an ECT sensor is, so I have no idea here. AllData is VERY cryptic about this sensor.
7 - maybe OK based on outside temps, but I didn't take the time to look this up.
8 - proper signal is being sent to blower motor
9 & 16 - who cares.

To repeat, DTC trouble codes - NONE.

I'm thinking blower control module (if that's the right term?). No matter where I set the fan speed dial, it just gives minimal airflow. Maybe the sucker is overheating when the high fan speed is called for at startup and never recovers.

I'd also guess that possibly a sensor is feeding bad data to the CC unit, but even if it thought it was too hot or too cold somewhere, I should be able to override the fan speed with the dial, right?

All suggestions are welcome.

Also, I have a small mouse caught in my blower - it goes squeek, squeek, squeek on low - is there something I can lubricate or am I looking at a new motor soon?

Thanks in advance!