View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM

page 2

Many people have used the “BMW 3030” tool by SIR to pop the lower control arm from the steering knuckle ball joint with success – but how? I could not get the cup of the tool around the end of the lower control arm. The gap on the tool’s cup was too narrow to slide over the end of the lower control arm, preventing me to get a safe perpendicular press on the ball joint. Instead, after a small panic and rifling through my tool chest, I found that my S-K brand pitman arm puller (#92506?) fit perfectly and made short work of the ball joint. I had the lower control arm and steering knuckle out of the car so I could have plenty of room to work.

PIC 1 - JTC popper in action on upper control arm
PIC 2 - SK Pitman arm puller to separate lower control arm from steering knuckle
PIC 3 - busted boot on ball joint
PIC 4 - kinda scary with everything is disconnected
Attached Thumbnails
Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-popper_in_action.jpg   Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small-sk-pitman.jpg   Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small_ball-joint-bad.jpg   Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small_all-disconnect.jpg  
13.6 @ 106mph
10K mi
1984 300SD
260K mi and going and going...
97 S600
46K miles
1991 Sentra SE-R (extremely dorked with)
www.se-r.net

Last edited by bodyart27; 02-13-2007 at 10:23 PM.