View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Page 4

In order not to damage the boot on the new ball joint, I removed it before test fitting it in the tool. A small flat screwdriver helps move the retaining ring up so you can slip the boot off. Slipping the boot back on without getting grease everywhere is a bit more challenging. What worked was slipping the boot all the way on without the ring, then work the ring slowly down (again – a little challenging with the ball joint in the knuckle).

When Rashakor was over the following weekend, we found that you could actually keep the boot on, and the tool did not come in contact with the boot whatsoever – so, we left it on the second time.

As I was test fitting the ball joint, I realized there is an adapter being held in place at the bottom that needs to be removed (must be for another MB model – 123?). Hopefully you can see in the pic the o-ring on the adapter that was holding it in place – a nice design touch! With the adapter out, my 126 ball joint fit perfectly. The cylinder is resting on the outer ring of the ball joint, and the ball itself sits safely inside devoid of any contact (the concern here is that you don’t want any contact on the ball – which could mare the finish and reduce its life).

You place the base ring under the knuckle to true up and align the bottom and keep the knuckle off the press plates. That permits the perpendicular angle you need so the upper arm of the steering knuckle tucks into the slot of the tool’s cylinder. The upper part of the steering knuckle (the arm that connects to the upper ball joint) just floats inside the cylinder – it does not touch the inside wall of the cylinder. I did a quick check with a level to make sure the ball joint would be pressed in straight – everything lined up well without any fuss.

PIC 1 - ball joint starting to move
PIC 2 - ball joint out
PIC 3 - removing boot of ball joint (not really needed with this tool)
PIC 4 - steering knuckle resting on base
Attached Thumbnails
Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small_hammer_more.jpg   Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small_bj-out_2.jpg   Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small_remove-boot.jpg   Write up - Ball Joints & Lower Control Arm Bushings & Tool Review (PICS!)-small_base_tooll.jpg  
13.6 @ 106mph
10K mi
1984 300SD
260K mi and going and going...
97 S600
46K miles
1991 Sentra SE-R (extremely dorked with)
www.se-r.net

Last edited by bodyart27; 02-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.