View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 PM

He's a nice guy, I'd rate the whole deal about like this:

The yard around the place is probably a couple of acres, not more than 2 or 3, and it's full of various Mercedes, ranging from a FEW 70's models, right up through a few mid-nineties C-classes, plus a LOT in between. It seems to chance a lot, but he seems more gas-oriented some days and diesel-oriented on others.

The showroom is about the size of an airline hangar, maybe a hangar and some extra, and it's full of nice-looking Benzes - I saw a Rolls in there once. He also handles older Jaguars, xkj and the like, and a FEW volvos.

I'm being as fair and objective as I can: I feel like they all LOOK nice, but Lloyd is selling these cars to be kept running. He's not OVERLY concerned about, nor does he expect his buyer to be, about all the little nitpicky details - the feeling I got was "These cars all run, I think they're safe on the road - but if every little button and light isn't working perfectly, or if there's a few screws missing where they don't really matter, that's just par for the course". We inherited a few problems like that, stuff that he hadn't thought worth fixing up - but he told us, upfront, fair and square, that his philosophy was to make them dependable but not perfect - and we paid a fair price, we paid for a good car but we didn't pay to have everything working on it - he did fix some of the list of things I told him after my test-drive - the ones he found most important.

Long story short - Lloyd's cars are definitely used Mercedes, but he'll give you an according price, and he seems honest and straightforward enough, whether or not there's corners cut anywhere is debatable.

Overall - although I'd be more prepared for all the final details I'd have to fix myself - I'd buy another one from him if I had the money and the need for another diesel - but I wouldn't send my grandmother to him, just because it would need SOME nitpicking before it was REALLY ready to just put out on the road and "set it and forget it" - that won't happen, I don't think, even with mine.

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL