View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Hate to see this go to the crusher

Some background -
!7 years ago, my friend Geoff, who vintage-races a '65 Sunbeam Tiger, sold his 1968 W108 280SE. At the time I was tempted to buy it, but the car didn't have AC (almost a mandatory option in the DC area) And I already had a perfectly running, air-conditioned '72 250. However, My friend's SE did have the somewhat rare manual 4-speed floorshift.
A few weeks ago my friend Mike told me about a '68 280SE on Craigslist. I went over to see the car, expecting the usual rustbucket, automatic, W108 basket case, and found my friend's former stickshift 280SE, identified by the California Sunbeam Tiger Owner's Asscociation decal on the back window.

Car is white, with saddle tex interior. On my brief inspection, most of the rockers, driver's side and trunk floors appeared solid. but there are some rust-spots appearing at the bottoms of some of the doors and rear fenders, as well as a rust blister above the left headlight. The worst is a welded patch to the driver's side frame-rail that has rusted again.
Body is straight but the right side was repainted at some time and some of that paint is now peeling.

The tex interior and dash-wood looks good, except for some discoloring/deterioration to the finish at the ends of the 'hockey-sticks' - the wood around the windshield, but the wood and venneer is still together and intact.

The seller says the car hasn't run for 8 years, but I was able to put a wrench on the altenator nut and get the engine to turn with the fan-belt. Oil looked black but level was normal, with no signs of coolant leaks into the crankcase (like what ruined the engine in my '61 Ponton).

Seller says the title has been misplaced, but it may be possible to apply for a replacement. Car is in Springfield, Virginia. He's asking $300 OBO. I'm sorely tempted, but right now I'm short of time or room for extra projects.
Send me a PM or E-mail for contact information.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 02-16-2007 at 04:18 PM.