View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Rogue T Intolerant!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrg View Post
They are called brake reservoir grommets and they do need to be replaced once in a while. The reservoir wiggles out (straight up) and the grommets will pop right out and the new ones right in (it takes two). It's an easy job if you don't count having to bleed all the air out afterward. Don't sweat the draining, both chambers will drain in about 3 seconds when you remove the resevoir, be prepared to catch it in a towel or some rags. Clean up the reservoir (I flushed mine with some fresh fluid), wet the two nipples on the bottom of the resevoir with brake fluid so they slide in easier and then align and press down on the resevoir until it seats. Refill, flush with clean fluid and bleed the air out. That's it.

I was going to ask how best to replace these grommets, as the wagon master cylinder is hemorrhaging fluid out of these rubber seals. Then I thought, "use the search idiot!"
I replaced the firewall accelerator linkage assy tonight [from Scar, thank you] and the reservoir is the perfect place for your elbow during said replacement. This made the leak much worse!
I have the 2 grommets [thanks Hitman!] and will probably try replacing tomorrow. I read several threads on replacing these grommets. Some said the brakes will need bleeding, some said they won't. Anybody know for sure?
I have read a thread before where the poster had trouble seating the reservior into the grommets. The post above makes it sound simple. Let's hope.....

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John