View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
General Purpose Geek

Dog-Resistant Speaker Covers for Rear Deck

The speaker covers in my 380SL were a joke; they were the "modern" type designed to show off the speakers and not actually designed to protect anything. So, I looked for good, metal covers. I just couldn't find any in 6x9. Most of the covers made now are plastic junk, and the few "industrial metal" covers are round only and way too big. So, I made oak frames, stained them walnut, and took some fairly sturdy perforated aluminum and trapped screws inbetween the two parts and JB-Welded things together. They turned out OK, although I am certainly not much of a woodworker. Now, my dogs can walk back there without putting a leg through a speaker or snagging a nail on the grille (the perfs are a lot smaller than their nails).

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you deal with it? I would rather have speakers in the plastic sides but this looks really tough to do well, and the PO cut these holes already; better yet, I'd love to have the deck sold at Performace Products but not at that price.
Attached Thumbnails
Dog-Resistant Speaker Covers for Rear Deck-spkback.jpg   Dog-Resistant Speaker Covers for Rear Deck-spkfrnt.jpg  
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm