View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Moderating, Eh?

Yep. Plenty of them on the road.

It seems our lives have become so fast-paced, and technology promising to deliver everything NOW! that patience has descended from a virtue into an annoyance.

The main street that cuts through my quiet neighbourhood is used as a short cut between two major arteries during morning and afternoon rush hour.

Every morning, I watch cars blast down the 40 km/h street at double that, sometimes at 100 km/h+, which is insane given there are people out walking their dogs, kids playing, etc.

I like to make a point of driving the speed limit in the morning, and 'trapping' the short-cutters behind me, as they try and rush frantically to work. The final straw was when a woman in a minivan illegally passed my wife (who was doing the limit) on the right and my wife had a young child in the back seat.

So, the other morning, I did my usual slow down trick and had a couple of cars behind me. A woman in a minivan (who was quite possibly the previous culprit) drove right up my rear. Rode my a$$ down the street. Her minute reserve of patience must have ran out and she jerked out sideways and tried to pass me. I blocked her and hit the brakes, coming to a full stop. I forced her to do likewise and I turned and looked directly at her, shooting daggers. A dangerous manoeuvre perhaps, but is it any more dangerous than her passing me on the right, on icy roads, and potentially endangering both of us or a pedestrian?

I then proceeded down the street, and she stayed a respectable distance back for the duration of the trip. People tend to be pushy and aggressive in their vehicles, but once you penetrate that thin shell, they're usually far too scared to force an actual confrontation.

I'm currently negotiating with local politicians and police, and the neighbourhood association, to get a solution implemented.

In the meantime, I'll continue my little private crusade. :fork_off:
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon