View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM

I have a question, which may or may not pertain to the info in this thread? I have been looking at a 1987 190D, well havent seen anything besides pictures, but have corresponded with the owner several times a week for the past few weeks. He stated he had the transmission rebuilt about a year ago, but instead of letting the technician finish "tuning" the tranny, he took the car, as he was tired of renting one while that was in the shop, and he needed his car back. Here is a quote from what he told me about his transmission..."Work was done by AAMCO and I've got the receipts.
Only the rubber seals needed replacing, but, I needed a working car, and decided to get the transmission rebuilt. With 20/20 hind sight, time and
the car being home near it's local mechanic, I wouldn't have done it. No major motor work. It does use a bit more oil than it should. There's a leak
around the head gasket that I haven't bothered to repair. The vaccum modulator or vaccum to the transmission might be needing attention. I'm not
sure. It seems to shift late, but, that transmission can be 'tuned' so by so many variables, I haven't played with it. If I need a 'jack rabbit' start. (ok,
with a non-turbo diesel, a 'jack turtle' start), I simply downshift into '2' and then when it gets speed up, I pop it back into "D". Do you think making the adjustments you guys have been talking about in this thread, would help his problem?
thanks,
coadman