View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Rafael1967

MB Alpine Audio 10 head unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Nag View Post
Not quite...depends on your radio. For non-M Class 94-98's, read on...

I've spent the last couple weeks researching how best to update my stock 95 E320 sound system. My goal is to keep things stock looking, keep the price down (target is to spend under $500, including a subwoofer), add line level aux inputs for my iPod and Delphi XM, and to get a significant sound quality improvement.

Step one - got the Rainbows up front. Just like everyone here said...easy install, big difference in sound quality.

Step two - get line level aux inputs for my iPod and Delphi XM. I really wanted to use the stock head unit, but the price I was quoted for adding an aux input using the tape circuit was pretty outrageous; you can buy a new head unit, with more features and integral aux inputs for less. Using off the shelf parts, I found a better and cheaper alternative, that doesn't require an expensive modification to your head unit. You do give up the CD changer capability, but if you're hooking up your iPod, who cares?

Getting multiple aux inputs requires two components. First, Blitzsafe makes an adaptor that plugs into the CD changer port, providing a single aux input. No surprise here - several manufacturers offer this, although the model I found plugs directly into the back of my stock head unit. All the others I found plugged into the changer end of the cable; what a hassle to get the inputs routed back up to the dash. Blitzsafe part number is MB/AUX DMX V.1A - here's a link to where I ordered it from ($80.)

Second component - a Soundgate Aux3. This hooks into the single aux input provided by the Blitzsafe adaptor, and provides a switched connection for 3 inputs. This allows me to keep the iPod and Delphi XM plugged in, and switch between them with the flick of the included switch. Buy.com has the best price I could find ($40.)

I've hooked up all the pieces, and things work as expected. Sound quality is way better than stock, and should get better still once I get a small sub installed. But first comes the tough part...figuring out the mounting and wiring for the iPod and Delphi. I'll post some pics once complete.

While it wouldn't work for me, Blitzsafe also just came out with a new iPod only device, the M-Link 1. They have an application for the same 94-98 head units. If you only need to hook up your iPod (no additional aux inputs), it's an even better solution. It also hooks into the back of the radio, but has an iPod dock connector, and charges the iPod as well as providing a line level input. It does not allow you to control your iPod from the factory radio, but I'd rather control things from the iPod anyway. It's hard to find details on this unit, but here's a link to a post on Blitzsafe's forum where they mention it's available.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Do you know if this would work with an OEM Alpine Audio 10 head unit? It also has the slots open in the back for the optional CD changer.

I purchased this MB OEM to replace the after market stereo that was on my '83 300SD, it works great and looks nice and

brgds,
Rafael