View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 08:05 PM
dieselarchitect

84 280e euro with five speed

this car is a unique car as i see it.

it was brought into the country to be run in the amerithon ralley in 84. it was entered by a polish team in which one of the drivers was j frank who owns a specialty used car lot in indianapolis. i bought the car from him about 1993 or so, drove it for a couple of years and sold it along. the guy i sold it to drove it for a few years and had a problem with it and let it sit til it got flooded and the motor stuck.

so i bought it back from him and had the motor taken out and gone through by my favorite machinist. it was pretty good after basic cleaning. new rings and a valve job and it is running fine. in the reassembly we put in a new clutch pp throw out bearning and pilot bearing. turned the fw too. we went through the brakes too. and installed h and r lowering springs. the motor was purported to have 200 hp. they were allowed to pick it from the assembly line.

with a total weight of a little over 3000 lb. it is pretty quick.

the front shocks are recent bilstein hd. rear are koni red adjustable. the car has a 369 rear end. it originally had tall springs (126?) and possibly taller tires for the rugged ralley it was set up for. when if first got it it also had a skid plate. i took that off and unfortunaelty discarded it.

it runs like jack the bear. in the one autocross last fall i ran with it the biggest problem was keeping the slicks from spinning too much off the line and out of the corners.

it has an ac setup from a 240d which doesn't work. crank windows no sunroof and no radio. the dash is very cracked. glass is good. body a bit rusty. no reason it can't be driven on the street. it has a good title. it has the euro lights but i took them off to avoid damaging them.

it originally had the vented rotors from the s class but now they are gone.

i will sell it for $4,999, reluctantly.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.