View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM
I ♥ German Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Yep, that's the old style arm and the ball is not removable from the arm.......it's all one piece. The ball is now damaged, so, you've got to remove and replace the arm........and it's probably been in there for 40 years. Not a terrific task.

You probably have iron pipes coming up the wall to the shower head. If so, they can take the torque that you're going to have to use to get that arm loose. You'll definitely need pipe wrench, and, hopefully, you won't break the fitting in the wall. But, at that age, nothing is certain. Can you remove the one tile around the arm and get to the fitting? A good bit of heat from a propane torch will make short work of getting it out without damage.
Ok, great. Yes it's almost a 60 year old home. My wife and I just bought it two weeks ago and we've got one of those detachable shower head things and I need to get it hooked up. All the plumbing in the house has been updated to copper, but I think they might have bypassed the shower head based on what you're telling me.

The ball may look damaged but the shower head that is there works fine for the most part. It's funny, nobody at Home Depot knew there was such a thing as a shower arm with the ball fixed to the arm.

I have a torch too and I was thinking about using it today, but then I got worried that the wall behind the tile would catch on fire. I'll try to pop that center tile out and get a better look.

1987 300TD, 1987 300TD
2008 R32, 2000 Passat Wagon

Last edited by justinperkins; 02-25-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added torch part