View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
dieselarchitect

i have been there twice.

so far i am even. i didn't gamble at all.

but it is a cheap place to fly to and there are good things with in driving distance. BTW the rental car prices are realy low but they are quoted without local tax which is about 40% so they really arent such a great deal. we drove to grand canyon and hoover dam. also saw the meteor crater and winslow arizona. (not much there except a really great railroad hotel from the 20s that is being restored). we stayed there one night.

you are close to some good anastazi sites including some great cliff dwellings in (i think) downtown flagstaff. there is also a volcano there (extinct). your not far from the four corners and the mesa verde national park which has a mess of cliff dwellings. very very worth a trip. there are dinasour tracks in varous places in the rocks around there too.

and to the west a three hour drive to death valley. a desolate but very interesting place. a five hour drive is bonneville salt flats too (i think).

some of these places i did not go but if i had more time i would.

very interesting places out there. the landscape is light on foilage so the earth's plate action and such is really out in the open.

i enjoyed it immensly.

BTW this time of year it is really cold up in flagstaff and some other places. we drove through a fierce blizzard there in december. about 12" of snow and a lot of wind. a good many exits were closed. we cruised along in our rented 2.7 liter chrysler 300.

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.