View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
You're turning the definition of sovereign on its head. The Cubans have no say over what happens there. The previous regime we inked the deal with was a virtual US colony, best I can tell. Deal first struck in '03 and renewed in '34. I believe a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, but why would we vacate a lease on 45 sq. miles of prime seaport territory that rents for $4,000 a year, especially since Castro, et. al. haven't cashed the checks in what, 30 - 40 years?

The deal cannot be broken unless both parties agree to it or the US vacates, which it/we are unlikely to do.

This is passing the buck par excellance. The entire scene at Gitmo, the residents and their treatment, has been created by us -- we control it -- and nobody else.

I can scarcely believe the dishonesty in the notion that Cuba has sovereignty over Gitmo. Gitmo is de facto American territory.
Try to stay on track.

Let's say you rent me some property for some amount of time. later you decide you want to change the arrangement. What do you do?

B