View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
Just picked up some NGK plugs to install. The manual calls for a gap of 0.032mm. Is this what you guys use? I know there is a camp that contends that a larger gap, like around 0.038 or so is better because it gives a stronger spark and more complete combustion. I use a larger gap on my ponton with no problems, but am not that familiar with this engine.
I've had good luck over the last 20 or so years running .032, I think they idle just fine and run well. While "in theory" larger gap may aid combustion (hard to quantify these things without dedicated test measures), that gap is going to get real wide (potentially not good) as the plugs wear, unless you plan to change them more regularly. (Rate of electrode erosion also increases with a larger gap, so that's another thing to think about.) There are advantages and disadvantages to running either a higher or lower gap, but my guess is the factory specs suggest a nice balance between the two, my experience would suggest they're right about that. Others will no doubt see it differently.