View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
No I do not believe it is bad at all. What is bad is when the manipulated yen vs the dollar is not in ratio it creates an unfair trading platform and it makes it tougher on US made products to survive. With US labor costing what it does to mfr's of auto and otherwise how can a level playing field be attained.

A few years ago in my industry we had Micron heavily lobby the US goverment to impose anti-dumping penalties against their Korean competitors. Not only was it 50-60% cheaper to manufacture Dram in Korea but when fabs got in trouble the Korean goverment would issue favorable loans creating a no lose situation for pacific rim exporters.

What I found suprising about the article is that the true #'s aren't really published and may never be simply because Toyota is a foreign owned company. How could a US mfr compete with this? I really wonder what kind of loans and favors is the US giving to firms like Toyota to create a mfg presence here in the US and do you believe that the Korean or Chinese goverments are doing the same to lure US entities to their homeland..I think not..

For this to continue and allowing profits to held offshore is just putting a band aid on a very real large problem IMHO
See I don't know about this. Just about every Toyota model costs more than the comparible Ford or GM model. Look at there new full size truck it costs about $5k more. The Camry a few grand. Then when you figure in factory discounts that GM and Ford are offering the price gap gets much larger, yet they still sell. They may be holding the Yen low, yet these cars still cost more. I wonder if they let the Yen rise and say the base sticker on a Camry increased $2k if that would matter that much. I don't think so.
2007 Tiara 3200