View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 PM

700 mile range here, on my two ~20 year old S-Class diesels. No problem.

I love how all the articles for new diesels tout how superior their new engine design is compared to diesels of the past.

If the diesel is well designed and turbocharged, they are not as they describe. Heck, Mercedes diesels of the mid '80s to late 90s will run 130 mph all day long. Whisper at idle. And return fuel efficiency in the low to mid 30s. This was achieved from an IDI design, to boot. EPA numbers are identical just about between the CDI and the E300 turbodiesel.

I'm just tired of the false propaganda most articles on new diesels publish (slow, smelly, noisy, etc). They couldn't be further from the truth. All diesels that fit into the category they suggest were not properly maintained.

I've seen, witnessed, and driven many CDIs before. With the sound insulation, they are very quiet (similar to a gas car, but they vibrate through the wheel and accelerator pedal). With the insulation removed, they sound like small diesel trucks. They do have damned impressive bottom end thrust for a diesel. Enough to invoke ESP, and chirp a rear tire in a straight line. No diesel made before by MB can compare with that.