View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark3542 View Post
Use the $8 sway bar links.
What makes you sure it's the appropriate thing? Have you done it yourself? The two links are different, one (the original) is longer than the other, and the way they attach at both ends is totally different... I just want to make sure you are right (I hope you are)

Quote:
What was causing the noise? I see lots of entries about brake pads and brake bleeding, but nothing about the noise and drag?
Well, I don't know yet for certain and there have been many different guesses from the forum, also in other threads about this problem, ranging from bad parking brake shoes (dragging), bad calipers (stuck), etc.

I just discovered that the rear rotors are at a tilted angle with the calipers (wearing out the pads exactly at that angle on both rear sides)... for details please see:

DIY tune-up for the original MB calipers...

Quote:
As near as I can tell, you didn't have any problems with the brakes, so changing fluid and pads and calipers is well and good for the longevity of the car, but have you fixed the reason the car is up on jackstands?
I think the problem is with the brakes (the rotors at a tilted angle are almost touching the frame at some point, and it is conceivable to me that when the car moves and turns they do so). The fact that I have a broken sway bar link on one side (the side where the strongest noise comes from) might have something to do with the tilted rotor/caliper angle... I am trying to find out. It seems that the matter at hand is a little more complicated than we all initially thought...

Quote:
Buying rebuilt calipers is the way to go. It is basically swapping your for the last guy's calipers that just got rebuilt. You'll pay a core charge if you don't return your calipers when you buy the rebuilt one. That's the way it works. Finding a rebuilder just to make sure you get your calipers back doesn't really make a difference.

I wouldn't try to work the caliper free, or try to "rebuild" it myself by taking it apart and cleaning it. Just get a rebuilt one.
The point here though is to also understand if I need to change calipers... since the problem, as I explained above, might not reside there.
We have gone from a hypothesis to another and to yet another here over the past few days... I hope this is it and that I can finally get to drive my car again soon...

Thanks,
Rino