View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 AM

Diesel Knock after new seals and return lines

My 300sdl ran like a top until last Thursday. A bit of diesel knock on cold morning but once it was warmed up it was almost a quiet as a gaser.

The IP was leaking on top. I took it to a local private MB shop, had the seals replaced and the non standard return lines replaced.

Now it has a loud diesel knock at idle that does not go away when the motor is hot, and feels like a gas engine with a miss, i.e. the motor rocks side to side, and you can feel it in the car.

If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine very slowly it has what I would describe as going from hammering to 1000 rpm where it just seems to have a shudder, not running smooth, and the at about 1800-2000 rpm it is smooth again.

I think the diesel knock is in #1. When I put my hand on the return lines from 1 to 6 It is most prevelant at #1. I also used an infared temperature gun on the injectors and #1 is about 192 degrees and the temp is even at about 197 for 2, 3, 4, then goes up to about 205 on #5 and 215 on #6.

Everyone who know the car wants to know what is wrong with it. The diesel knock is loud. I know it is not just me.

Along with this, I now have what smells like exhaust fumes coming into the car through the heating system. I can smell and see the exhaust in the engine compartment, but cannot fine the source.

At speed it runs well.

Last week I had a great car with a leak, now I have a smelly car that runs rough.

Any thoughts for correction.