View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 AM

My wife & I used to go to the Islands every year. Negril Jamaica was our favorite spot in the 80's, while it was still an "off the beaten path" sort of place. We like small, quiet, intimate type lodging, and our favorite was called the "Sundowner" at the east end of Negril Beach. Unfortunatly, Sundowner got bought out by one of the Mega-resorts. We then started staying at place called the Charela Inn. We probably went to Negril 8 or 9 times. Then it started getting too developed for our taste.

Harbour Island in the Bahamas is a nice spot. Beautiful pink sand beach, prettiest sand I've ever seen. IIRC we stayed at a place called, appropriately, "The Pink Sands". We spent our honeymoon there.

Tortola in the British VI, or St John, would probably offer your best choice. Both islands are pretty free of hustlers & higgelers, and you can get to these islands very easily with minimum time wasted in airports waiting for connecting flights.

If you want to go somewhere really off the beaten path, and don't mind flying in a few planes the size of a VW minivan with wings, St Vincent is awesome. We stayed at the Grand View twice. It is a very small family run converted plantation home. Very very private. A higher priced, and quite exclusive spot in St Vincent is Young Island, which is down the beach a few miles from Grand View.

Of all the islands I visited, St Vincent would be my choice today.

David