View Single Post
Old 11-29-2001, 03:48 PM
mattsuzie

Need a paint job for my Navy Blue 1990 300 SEL

I have a dark navy blue Mercedes 1990 300 SEL with blue bumpers (the bumpers seem to be a little lighter blue - not sure if it was done like that one purpose or if the plastic fades at a greater rate).

The paint started to fade 1-1/2 years ago on the hood, roof, and trunk, and now it is at the point where there are large white spots on the horizontal portions throughout the car and have to splurge the extra coin to get the car painted.

I would like advice on getting the car (and perhaps the bumpers and molding too) painted. Do I ask the guy to paint it the original Mercedes blue color? Should I ask him to just match the existing color? What about the bumpers and side molding? Do they paint them the same color or are they purposesly a tad bit lighter? Does anyone know? I was not the original owner so I don't know what the car exaclty looked like when it came out of the factory. How does Mercedes paint them? Enamel? Laquer? 2 coats or 3? Clear coat?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I went to one guy and said it would cot $950 and use Sherwin WIlliam paint. They only taope over stuff, thet do not remove the bumpers/trim.

I called anther guy who the dealer recommended and he said it was cost $3,000 to $4,000 over the phone. The use DuPont paint.

Has anyone has luch with Sherwin Williams?