View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
benzbonz

That was my first Mercedes, a 1976 240D, Paid $4500 for it in 1988. I drove the hell out of it, I finally got rid of it after all fluids (and I mean all fluids) were leaking. I drove the thing 2 years having to ad tranny fluid on the side of the road because, like I like to say, the engine revved up, but the car didn't go any faster - that's when I knew it was time to add a quart.

One of those fast lube places changed the oil in the car once and didn't use the "O" ring for the oil filter (used the cardboard gasket instead) well I left a 30 mile long oil trail to my house and 1/4 of the way to work before the oil pressure gauge showed no pressure. I added 8 quarts and went back to the place,,, also drove that car to miami, nashville, cleveland,,, many many miles,,,

Well anyway, the rubber inbetween the glass and the body on those is pretty bad, it cracks easily and leaks. Very slow acceleration (with or without the A/C on)

Funny thing about my 240D, after heavy acceleration, If I backed of the throttle a gigantic black cloud of smoke would be emitted from the tail pipe,,, had alot of fun with that on the hills of WV.

All in All a good car, easy to work on, lots of room under the hood, good theft deterrent (turn key AND then pull knob to start.)

Oh wow that reminds me, I almost plowed into a NC trooper in the 240D. Grey uniform, no orange safety vest, and he was black, it was dusk, He turned around and I saw the whites of his eyes and slammed on the brakes. I was only going 25-30 mph and he was able to jump out of the way, but he did physically pull me out of my car and ripped my shirt in the process, and of course a couple of charges (both of which were DROPPED by the DA) I mean give me a break, the uniform matched the color of the street, he didn't have a safety vest on, and his flashlight didn't have a cone on it AND he was a black officer, making him hard to see at dusk.

I think $2800 is way to high unless the car is immaculate.