View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Nailing just started

'80 300TD

Well I have just spent about half a day reading posts and only one comes close, but alas not quite.

I have been driving this car for about 4 years and the strongest thing has been the engine. No noise, nailing, knocking........until NOW .

I commute about 145 miles to work about 10-12 times a month. You read it right, almost 300 miles round trip in 24hrs. My engine has run smooth the whole time. As of late though I have been getting what I would describe as "nailing" at cruise speeds only. Yup, thats right at cruise speeds. Starts fine, I live in Florida so cold temp is really not a problem. No major smoke on start-up and seems to idle without any nailing. But, after accelerating with the cruise control on at hwy speed (70-75 mph) I get random nailing. Sometimes once in a while and then for about 5 seconds and then gone again for some of the trip and then back a little louder and there is no real rhyme or reason. When I exit the hwy and stop at the light at the end of the ramp, it idles pretty rough (car shakes more than out of sync idle though).

Around town I do not get any of these symptoms. I two can diesel purged her and followed with a Lubro Molly fuel additive chaser. Nothing changed. I changed both fuel filters after the purge and used different gas stations just to rule out the fuel contamination thing.

I have dumped more money than I had planned (yeah, I know, welcome to the club) to keep this running. I have done the work myself and all has gone well and then this rears its ugly head! I am hoping this is an injector thing and not a knocking problem. If it is a knocking thing there will be a lot of new parts for sale on ebay really soon. The exterior of the car has a lot to be desired and until now I had a real strong running car. Well, I take that back the car seems to run just fine. No real lack of power, 23-24mpg hwy, little or no smoke, but eats a little too much oil for my taste.

Anyway, she'll be making the trip on Thursday again so any input would be helpful.
2013 C250 Black
1974 CJ5 Red
You might faint from the fight, but you're gonna find it. Every challenge could have paradise behind it. -John Popper-