Thread: Why a Diesel?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2001, 05:04 PM
KevinM

Why a Diesel?

When I was 18, way back in 1975, my dad brought home a 1965 190Dc and said he would co-sign for a loan if I could make the payments on it. I agreed, and ended up driving that car for the next 13 years. During that time I learned to appreciate the particular charms of diesel powered locomotion, including slooooowwwww acceleration and that unique diesel sound. That car had character! When the 190Dc rusted away I was reduced to driving vans and other generic vehicles.
My dream car during the 190Dc years was the 123 series 240D\300D. Two months ago I found a good one. It's a 1983 300D, and I'm ready to go to work on it, like the rest of you have been doing. Now that I'm back in the diesel world, and among other like-minded individuals, I've got to ask: "Why do we love diesel Mercedes?" For me it was driving something that was different from anything else on the road. The 190Dc, with the starter knob and the 4 speed on the column, was different, and demanded a special driving style. I remember trying to hit all the lights, and staying in third gear as much as possible, to avoid coming to a complete stop. The lack of power made me a better driver, just because you couldn't take chances. The 300D is several levels above the 190D, but the essence of the diesel experience is still there. My question to the members of this forum: "Why do you drive a diesel?"