View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Gene

I have my old Chevelle with Haggerty. I'd give them a huge But I;ve had no claims. Keep in mind, its restrictive. Locked garage, no daily commuting etc.

Guess I'm not insured when I race it either! Go figure!

The key is that the classic policies insure for an agreed upon value. Book value on a 67 Chevelle SS396 might only be 5-6K, whereas retail price for original mint condition ( restored) is over 40K. I have mine insured for my "cost basis", which jumped a bit when I added a Richmond 5 speed and a tripower (3X2) setup. But I bumped my Haggerty policy to cover the cost. ( not my labor time, just cash outlay). Its a heckuva lot less than 40G's! ( like 65% of that).

But as I said above, theya re restrictive policies. If the car was lifted out of a mall parking lot, with no car show going on, you *might* have a problem with the claim. The benefit is, you insure the car for what its worth ( or in my case, teh cost basis).

To mainatin a 26K value policy for tmy CHevelle is around $220/yr and that includes their "AAA-type" service, since I dont trailer the car, I do crazy things like drive it to Nashville and then race it.

Last edited by WINGAS; 03-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.