View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Diesel Dean

Question

Tom,
I am trying to set the TDC indicator because the indicator was removed due to an earlier tear-down (cracked head, subsequent timing cover leak, timing chain replacement.....)

I am setting the TDC indicator to be able to use the RIV tool, to set the rest of the timing.

My thought was that, the sensor of the RIV tool that gets placed on the balancer, therefore ends up being placed at 20deg ATDC by the procedure I have referenced above. Am I correct? (I realize that the procedure above is not for setting IP timing but it does set the reference point of the crank for the RIV)

see procedure at:
http://webpages.charter.net/deanot442/riv%20timing%20mehod.pdf

Then the other part of the RIV tool goes into the IP and senses on its internal timing mark. So if that were the case wouldn’t the IP then be set for 20 instead of 14deg ATDC, or is there some type of compensation built into the RIV tool that adjusts for the difference?

Or am I just waaaaaay off on my thought process?????

The way I am thinking is that the sensor holder at the balancer should be set at 14deg ATDC to match the IP setting.

Last edited by deanot442; 03-20-2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: adding riv timing procedure from cd manual