View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanot442 View Post
Tom, Dave.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. You both have been very helpfull. Dave I see your point about the quick set tool.
I think I was getting sidetracked by the timing device called out in the procedure on my cd (see attached photos) it shows 2 sensors being used together one at the balancer and one in the pump tied together in a test box. I thought the more commonly used RIV tool used the same method, but thats where I was incorrect
The device shown in your photo is the factory setup for dynamic RIV. It requries two inputs... one to the balancer, so it knows where TDC is, and one at the pump, so it knows where the pump is.

The difference is that the factory setup (shown in your photo of the FSM) plugs into the pump's RIV port, sensing a tab on the governor flywheel. The aftermarket quick-connect setups use a piezo sensor that clamps on to the #1 fuel line. You'll get different readings from the two methods.

The more commonly used tool is the static "A-B light box", which plugs into the RIV hole in the side of the pump, but requires you to use your eyeballs to read the balancer. I have this tool, it works great, but doesn't allow checking the timing with the engine running (and I can live with that.)

This tool has gone up in price, I think it's closer to $300 now:

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!