View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 AM

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugald View Post
It's a strange little device, unlike any other pump I have ever seen, and devilishly expensive. It can't be opened for repair, short of using a hacksaw. It can leave you stranded if it fails.
I think the point page62 and I were trying to make is that a noisy pump is more likely to fail when you're driving it. Although easier to access than a lot of parts on the car, a side of the road repair would not be something I would want to attempt. As strife mentioned, I've read of several pumps and/or relays failing after the humming gets louder. Before I replaced almost everything in the fuel delivery system I had a humming noise that seemed to be getting louder, as well as the "running out of gas" that strife described when the fuel guage got to 1/4 tank. I think the accumulator had something to do with that. I still have the old pump and accumulator and will try the suggestion about running the pump backwards on the bench. I may cut the old accumulator in half, lengthwise, just to see the function better.

To expect baseline results... You must have baseline conditions