View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark3542 View Post
And smoking cigarettes will kill you.

It's all about cost/benefit analysis. I seriously question a statement like "damage peoples engines"...that's too vague...it seizes up to the point where it's not rebuildable? Destroys piston rings thus creating blowby and low compression? Scores the cylinder walls, requiring an overbore or sleeving situation? Destroys seals in the IP, requiring rebuild or replacement of the IP?

I'll take worst case...that I need to pull the whole engine and replace it...I estimate maybe $2000 on the high end for me to do that (I replaced a 2002 Kia motor for $400, so I have experience is this area).

Now, the math. Running WVO/RUG, I pay about $.01 per mile for fuel. Someone running diesel pays about $.10. It will take me about 25,000 miles to pay for a replacment motor, worst case. Will I "damage" my engine in 25,000 miles? I've put over 13,000 on the last six months without issue.

And, so far, there is 500 gallons of petroleum that I didn't import from the Middle east.

I reduced the cost of waste disposal for 7 restaurants in my area.

The cost/benefit analysis is overwhelming in my opinion.
Increases your chances of getting something like cancer. Won't kill you like say a gunshot to the brain or cyanide.

I thought it is responsible for coking the injectors, rings and damaging the IP because of it's viscosity?

MB engines go for 2K?

You do realize that you have, in both cases, omitted labor times. That would be akin to me saying my car has no fuel costs because I take it off Dad's fuel pump. If you compare apples to apples, what would it cost? IOW, take into consideration that you are setting up a shop and selling the fuel. I don't know why homebrew Bio and SVO people always omit all the other things that add up to the true cost of the product. When I calculate how much a car costs me, I add up everything. I don't count the service I do as parts only. I tack in down as tho I went to a dealership for the work. At the end of the day, I have true cost. After all, my time is money. I don't work for free.

Like they even miss that. Besides, how much of that 500 gals actually comes from the ME? Maybe less than 20%.

Maybe for now it would. When biodiesel plants start springing up and pay to take the stuff, you might not be right then. Assuming that they don't pay a flat fee for certain amounts.

Only because you don't plug in true cost. When you figure out taxes, space, equipment, time, storage, etc, etc, your cost analysis will change. I rotate my tires every so often. If I were tracking the cost of the vehicle, I track it as tho I got it done at some shop. That way I know how much that vehicle actually costs. I don't just say that because I have a jack and some stands, tire rotation is free. My equipment which breaks from time to time isn't free and neither is my time.

I don't know about where you live but I don't want to wire up a 2 tank system and have to remember to switch it to SVO after the fuel is warm and shut it off before I park. Another hassle. I don't think I can run a 1 tank system either. Now, if commercial grade biodiesel were cheaper than D2, I'd be getting it. So far, it hasn't. Place that sells B100 is content to keep it higher than D2 because they don't need the extra business it would generate. In their words "If we feel we need more sales, we will drop the price.". This was when I asked them why they were 70 cents higher even after paying for the membership fee annually.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow

Last edited by aklim; 03-27-2007 at 01:50 PM.