View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinperkins View Post
That could possibly be another discussion, but I try not to let my diesels sit there idling when cold. The engine will never really warm up like that. I start mine cold, and once the idle has evened out (5 seconds or so), I immediately hit the road to let it really warm up.
Is that long enough to let it idle? Maybe warm up isn't the term I should have used, more like get the oil warmed up and flowing. I'm not really idling to get it up to operating temp., just long enough to get some heat in the engine and the idling quiets down. The amount of time has more to do with how long my dog takes to make his morning rounds than anything else. Bear in mind the last diesel I had racked up plenty of miles from the then much longer commute and all of my work trucks run all day long, I've never dealt with a diesel and short duration driving before which is why I was wondering.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)