View Single Post
Old 03-13-1999, 02:51 AM
Great Site! Can't wait to see what you do with it in the future.

I am hoping to shortly become a first time Mercedes ownwer and have some questions I hope someone can help me out with.

I have a few questions regarding the 87 300E. I have been looking for a 300 for a while now and have found one that appears to be in great shape. It is a one owner vehicle, with all records, oil changed every 3k. The body and interior are immaculate. The vehicle has approx 170,000 miles. Are there any things I should look out for? I have seen reference to valve stem seal problems, but mainly for the 86's. Is this a problem for the 87 as well? If so, is this something that would likely have been replaced by now? If not, how much should I expect to spend if I have to have it done?

The seller is asking $7000 for the car. Unfortunately I am on a budget and have been restricted to looking at fairly high mileage cars. Luckily, I don't mind performing maintainence myself. How feasible is this with a Mercedes? Most of the traffic on this group and Richard Sexton's list regarding 300's appears to deal with the 300D. Are the 300E's less popular? Less reliable? Any thoughts on this particular MB in terms of price, mileage, reliablility, etc. would be greatly appreciated.