View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 04:04 PM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowsquall View Post
I've got a 1982 240D and I want to be able to take my twin 2 year old boys out in it. I told the wife we need an extra set of car seats that I can use in this car and also in my 1989 Bluebird school bus. Just wondering what others are doing with the challenge of installing modern child car seats in vintage cars, and pass on any info I have, which I get mostly from my wife the safety pro! So have you guys got them rear facing or has anyone found a safe way to install anchors for the tethers? Check out this link http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Dave
All I've done is use the standard rear lap/shoulder belt through the base and use that "H" shaped metal clip that comes with the seats to keep the belt tight for both front and rear facing seats. I've always assumed that it was as good as any other non-Latch installation. Maybe not?

Besides convenience, the Latch System (my wife's Odyssey has it) makes it easy for people to very snugly fasten the seats. I do like the ability to also attach the top of the carseat in the forward facing applications, though. At 270 lbs. I've go no problem weighing down the carseat or base to firmly install them in a non-Latch car whereas your average mom would have a heckuva time correctly installing one. The Latch takes a lot of that variable out of the equation.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)