View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
stricht8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Greetings all, I just acquired a beautiful 1980, 450SEL, 180,000 miles in great shape, when I got it (last week) it had bad timing chain slap and intake manifold leaks, I replaced the chain, tensioner and broken rail. Pulled off the intake to access and replace the doughnuts and intake gaskets, I replaced all vacuum lines in regards to the engine at the same time, it starts great, has plenty of power once you get it moving, but, off the line it will barely get out of its own way, almost like plugged exhaust, once you get it moving though it runs great. I took it to my local muffler shop and they drilled a few small holes in the exhaust system and discovered (by using a pressure gauge) that the pre-converters were 70% plugged they were sure this was the problem, I was a little skeptical as it ran great with plenty of power once you get it moving. Well, after replacing the pre-converters I still have the same problem, I have rechecked the timing and even tried advancing it too no avail, I am at a loss as to the next possibility, any one have any idea's? Thanks in advance, Phill
I had an 80 450 SEL. At 160 hp it is the most underpowered of the 450s. Early ones put out 230hp. Anyway a faulty or worn out transmission can do this. This was the case with mine. Once the tranny was rebuilt there was a world of a difference in power off the line. It was rebuilt at 150,000 miles. 180,000 miles later it developed a leak and the ATF leaking over the hot catalytic converter caused a fire. That was the end of that car. Well, the thing died with 320,000 miles on the clock. I really miss that car, but I don't miss its crappy gas mileage.
Dimitri