View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
EJ, your red CE looks fine with the solid paint scheme. I don't think I'd like the look of mine if it were solid burgundy/garnet. I just think the tan/sand/gold whatever it is cladding gives a handsome contrast.
I think you're right. In my former 1991 420SEL the contrasting cladding looked fine because it lessened the car's "bulk"

The 300CE is smaller, so the contrasting cladding does not really add, or subtract, much.

You're lucky that you were able to pop the cladding back in place. When it happened to my 420SEL the plastic strip, inside the cladding, to which the clip itself attaches broke off. So I had to use epoxy to glue the cladding back on. It was a somewhat unelegant solution to a potentially expensive problem. The glued spot, however, was invisible and it held for many years.

In an article recently published on MERCEDES ENTHUSIAST, it mentioned that the cladding was one of Sacco's a design features. According to the interview, the cladding would first appear on the more expensive cars and then eventually it would makes its way down the line as each "lesser" model was facelifted. I think that the 300CE got cladding before the 300E--reflecting the 300CE's more expensive "pedigree."

The cladding on the Benzes is more discreet than the cladding used on Pontiacs. Still, I don't like it. I prefer the cleaner look of plain old sheetmetal.

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!