View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 10:43 AM

aux fan strip fuse

Is it mounted on the strut tower, fairly heavy gauge wires on both ends, with a small, thin metal (i.e. strip fuse?) between them? If so, it was right in front of my face, just didn't realize what it was...

I have made some progress (hopefully I didn't do too many things at once leaving me unsure of the problem...) I cleaned and replaced the #7 and 10 fuses--they both seemed fine. I also rotated the relays (they're all silver Hella fuses--indication they're all replacements?) just to see if that made any difference...

With the car at running temp (i.e. 80c), I jumped the 105/115 switch and the FAN CAME ON (yipee!) at high speed. Then I jumped the AC switch w/ the ac running and engine temp somewhere between 80 and 100 and the fan came on at low speed. So, it looks like the ballast resister is ok since it ran on low speed...

With that, it looks like I need a new AC switch. I'm not so sure about the 105/115 switch. I'm not certain the engine got up to 105 just sitting in the driveway running (it did rise above 80 but I wouldn't say it was half way to 100). The only thing that confuses me, is yesterday when I was running it around lunch time, the engine temp was above the 100 mark and the fan still didn't turn on... That would make me think the 105/115 switch is bad too. Seems unlikely that both would go bad at same time though... I need to get it up to temp today (over the 100 mark) after messing w/ fuses and relays and see if it kicks on. If not, it would appear both switches are bad? Am I thinking clearly here?

BTW, this forum is fantastic--I know enough just to get myself in trouble, but w/ all the info on this board, I might be able to actually figure it out--with out having to run wires and a toggle switch up to the dash to turn it on manually (not at all becoming of a MB ).

Thanks in advance.