View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebfl View Post
We buy oil in 8oz containers because the oil absorbs moisture once it has been opened. We usually don't use a container more than on one car or two cars in the same day. If any is left we toss it.
I don't know how much water the oil can absorb if the can is only opened once and then tightly closed. It would seem the amount of moisture in the small volume of air inside the can would be negligible. It would be different if you had a can left open to the air but I wouldn't worry too much about using A/C oil from a can that had been opened once and re-closed and stored.

Also, if you draw a real good vacuum and hold it for a long while before you charge, like overnight, it will draw out any moisture in the oil too.

As I recall it was at least $15-$20 for the can I bought at the dealership. I was replacing my condensor which had a slow leak and also decided to replace the receiver-drier while I had the system opened. The MB manual calls for something like 50ml of oil to be put into the R-D before you install it so that's all I needed, so maybe the can was 1L that they sold me.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 05-12-2007 at 05:33 PM.