Thread: Om616/240d
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Man of the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewhite2485 View Post
those are the numbers that came off the block right behind the injector pump thaks for the reply
Ok, so the cast numbers in the center of the block immediately to the rear of the IP then? The stamped #'s are in the rear corner of the block, just under the head gasket, on the same side as the IP, those are the #'s that everyone really goes by to determine an engine. What year is the GF's car? If later than 77 it should be a W123 chassis, and the stamped #'s you will find should begin with 617.912, usually followed by 10, then the actual serial # of the engine (which you will need to know for getting correct valve train & other internal parts). The casting # really doesn't have much significance in anything, as it was used in a broad spectrum. If it turns out you need/want those con rod/piston assy's, how about $10 each + shipping?
I forgot to mention yesterday that the oil pump in that engine was also demolished by the flying rod. (now mounted on my shop's "wall of glory" in its new s-shaped form) So I only have 3 good rods, no crank or pump.
82 240D -for sale